Re: Neon Sign Noise

Hi Ed,

I posted it since the solutions are similar to what one should do for a
Tesla coil causing interference.

1.	Check the NST case and AC wiring grounding.  Just like a TC, you may
want ground straps going to copper rods.  If they ground through the AC
that may be poor.  Also, if something is arcing to ground...

2.	Be sure all the HV connections are clean and tight.  If there is a tiny
bit of arcing going on somewhere, it will cause dramatic RFI.

3.	AC line filters like DigiKey sells may be useful for the NST AC inputs.
Again, they have to be well grounded with real RF type grounding.

4.	Get a little portable radio and go "hunting" for the exact source.
Hopefully a connection or something is bad.

5.	Get a better phone :-))  Seriously, not all phones are made alike and a
better designed phone may not have the problem.  I bet one of the old
rotary phones will not buzz.  If it does, something is really wrong.

5.5	Be sure the phone and its wiring are grounded (not to the same ground
as the neons :-))

6.	Maybe get the newer electronic NSTs and use the 15/30s for something
else :-)))

7.	Make sure the wiring in the phone outlets is not traveling near the
neons somewhere.  I found I had a phone wire in the ceiling right above my
TC that was connected to an answering machine that "mysteriously" died
after a run...

8.	Put a big coil in the center of the place like Fries in CA and light the
neons with it :-))  They have RFI cages that you may want to consider if
you get desperate.  The third link has EMI info.

http://www.ttr-dot-com/special-projects.html
http://www.ttr-dot-com/Fry-coil.htm
http://www.ttr-dot-com/its_model9.html

Those are my ideas,  Hopefully, of some help to all.

Cheers,

	Terry