Ballasting OBITs

Original poster: "Hans Scholze by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hanscs-at-eagle.ptialaska-dot-net>

I have read many times that it is good to start at low power levels when
first firing a new coil, but I don't have a variac.  I am using two OBITs in
parallel, and I was thinking that I would just make a couple of ballasts for
1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 power.  Is this necessary, or would just half-power be
sufficient?  On my previous coil the only power control was seperation of
plug and outlet, but I don't want to destroy my new one as I have put much
more time and money into it.  I have a few OBITs with bad secondaries and I
thought that if I put one of these in series with each good one, the power
would be half.  Is this correct, or do the secondaries need to be shorted
for a reasonable ammount of current to flow?

Thanks for your help,
Hans