Dwell Controller - Thanks!

Original poster: "Andy Cleary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>

>John has also come up with a cool way to adjust the dwell electrically with
caps and a small
>variac but get it built first :-)

Yeah, that reminds me - Many thanks to you John, for basically "saving" my
SRSG!  You may or may not remember, but I recently built a nice SRSG using a
1200RPM Hyst. Sync motor.  As everyone had mentioned, it sure enough doesn't
lock into sync correctly each time, thus making it a pain to use.  In comes
the dwell controller, and that problem is solved!  I used a 30uf capacitor
and a large 50A variac for control (the only one I could find!), and I must
have gotten at least 33 degrees of change, if not more.  I could actually
take the variac all the way around without it groaning, and I usually had to
in order to find the  right spot.  That is easily the best my coil has ever
ran - It was putting out about 5-5.5' discharges easily.  That was until I
brought my dad out to show him, when it quit.  Upon examination the next
day, I had found that I completely melted out one of the stationary
electrodes from the plastic holder.  That was a lesson learned - never use
thin Plexiglas at high powers!  Thanks again!

-Andy C.