Re: my coil does not work

Hi Max,

At 04:20 PM 1/28/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I have no idea what the problem is?? I know the caps and gap work and I'm not
>getting any spark. Does anyone know what my problem is?
>                                                                -thanks Max J

Can you describe your coil?  I am looking for the specific dimensions and
numbers needed to calculate things about your coil.  Please be as specific
as possible.  If you don't know something either leave it blank or guess,
but let me know you are guessing.

1. What is the power source (NST, MOT, PT, Pig, etc.)?
2. What is the transformer voltage?
3. What is the transformer current?
4. What is the transformer power or kW rating?
5. If you use a ballast, describe it?

6. What type of primary cap do you have (MMC, commercial, oil...)?
7. What is the total capacitance or you primary capacitor?
8. If it's an MMC, how many strings and caps per string?
9. If it's an MMC, what type of small cap are you using (manufacturer,
voltage, and current)?

10. What type of spark gap are you using (rotary or static)?
11. If rotary, is it sync and what is the speed and breaks per second?
12. What is you line voltage and frequency there?

13. What are the dimensions of your primary coil?
14. Diameter of the inner hole?
15. Outside diameter?
16. How many total turns?
17. Where are you tapping it for the best tuning?
18. Center to center turns spacing?
19. Diameter Of primary tubing?
20. Is it flat or conical in shape?

21. What is the diameter of the secondary coil?
22. What is the winding length?
23. What is the wire diameter or gauge?
24. How many turns of wire are there?

25. What are the dimensions of your top terminal?
26. Diameter if it is a sphere?
27. Total outside Diameter if a toroid?
28. Diameter of the donut section if it is a toroid?
29. What is the distance from the top of the secondary winding to the
center of the top terminal?

30. Describe the protection filter component values?
31. Resistance per leg?
32. Capacitance per leg?
33. How is it wired up (like mine?)?

34. How long are the arcs now?

35. Do you have a variac and if so, what is the power rating?

36. Do you use a strike rail and if so, is it a full loop or split?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I need to know a lot to help :-))

Cheers,

	Terry