RE: spark gap question...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

>> Original poster: "Lau, <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>
>> A triggered spark gap can be turned ON at any desired point in time
>>(provided the electrode voltage is above some minimum value), but the
>>turn OFF time is still dependant upon the same nebulous factors that
>>govern any spark gap's quenching.

>Original poster: "Metlicka Marc <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
>this is the misconception, if the plasma channel is being totally
>removed
>and only supported by the triggered pulses electrons, then the gap
>cannot maintain itself without the trigger. this is how i get it to
shut
>off when i want it to, granted i'm using a blower that the average
>coiler doesn't readily have access to, but the average coiler doesn't
>need it to force quench at will. as long as the arc cannot support
>itself at any power level and once ignited, cannot support an arc
>channel, it will shut down.

Sorry marc, I have to differ.  Plasma in a spark gap will continue to
conduct for as long as current is able to flow, regardless of trigger
electrode activity.  Your trigger source is a lamp dimmer discharging a
cap into some kind of step-up transformer.  The timing of your trigger
pulse relative to the mains is variable by means of the dimmer control,
but its pulse width (i.e. the end of the trigger pulse relative to the
start of the pulse) is not independently controllable, and would have no
effect if it were.

I didn't follow you about "if the plasma channel is totally removed".
If there's no plasma, there's no spark gap?

Gary Lau
MA, USA