Re: I'm trying this at home.

Original poster: "randy by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <randy-at-gte-dot-net>

Duck:

Have you read your own sig file lately? Freeclimbing? Street Luge? You seem
obsessed with
taking un-necessary risks.

At 10:12 PM 6/30/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Well actually , at the lab.
>
>This is a serious question, I don't want flames on this (though I know I'm
>gonna get them).
>
>I'm doing "The Demo". Insulated steel platform, powered off the discharge
>from a 6" coil powered by 12/180. The platform will be a 3' circle on 72" of
>insulators (Station post insulators). Coil output limited to 2' arcs max,
>and NOTHING within at least 20' of the platform except a bare concrete
>floor.
>
>I'm serious about wanting to do this for several reasons.
>
>1. I want to research the actual effects of passing the discharge.

Reasearch? Exactly how are you going to determine these effects?

>2. I want to know how it feels.

Why? It ain't going to be pleasant, that's for sure.

>3. I want to do it to show that, if handled properly, electricity can be
>incredibly safe.

So is Russian Roulette, being shot from a cannon, etc., done properly.

>I fully understand the dangers involved, and I know that if I do this wrong
>I can die doing it. I understand that a Master has died in the past (One of
>the 3 coiling deaths ever) doing this exact same demonstration. I understand
>that there could be long-term effects that can include unknown interior
>burns than can take forever to heal, etc etc. Even with a full appreciation
>of the dangers involved I am still stupid enough to take the risk.

What makes you think anyone on the face of the Earth understands the dangers
involved? Did Marie Curie understand the dangers of Radium? And who exactly
tallys deaths by TC?

>There are many people who have done this (Brent comes to mind, and I would
>love to talk to him), I would like people THAT HAVE ACTUALLY DONE THIS to
>give me some serious, practical advice so that this can be done as safely as
>possible.
>
>I will have a well trained crew on hand, including EMTs and an Ambulance
>parked outside (we're doing the demo for the local Public Safety Dept as a
>bit on Electrical Hazards and such.)

So, you're going to demonstrate to the general public that it's OK to have
tens of kilovolts shooting out of your body? How is this going to promote
"public safety", exactly?

>This is something that has been specifically avoided when people have asked
>in the past and dismissed as "Don't do it, it's stupid, you'll die and ruin
>it for the rest of us, etc etc etc...." noone has ever answered a post like
>this in the past with real advice.

Almost like asking somebody "how do I milk a rattlesnake". Would a snake
handler answer that question via email?

>I belive this is sonething that SHOULD be explored, but only under VERY
>specific situations. This isn't something for the average 14 year old to
>try, but for someone with the required people, training, and facilities this
>should be fine, if done properly.

"Very specific situations"? Your query indicates that you don't *know* what
conditions need to be met. The "required people"..... being what, those trained
in RF burns due to high-voltage, low-frequency RF? How many of those do you
have lined up? And how many RF grounds are installed in proximity to your
planned
demonstration area in that 'facility'?

>I can't afford the learning curve on this one guys, I need the knowledge of
>thos that have come before. This is a zero-tolerance thing. Please help.
>

>Thank guys.
>Chris "Freeclimber, S.C.C.A. Racer, Street Luger, Lightning Thrower" Boden
>
>duck

Respectfully,

Randy