Re: Superconductivity

Original poster: "Michael Rhodes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rhodes-at-fnrf.science.cmu.ac.th>

I am a physicist working at a university physics research
laboratory in both Neutron physics and ION (Plasma)
physics.  The setup you just described would not behave
the way you would like it to.

We design and build/operate several ion sources, ion
beam generators and plasma chambers.  The ion source
is configured similarly to your described setup (but of
course much more advanced).

Two primary excitation methods are used to produce the
ions and the plasma.  One is by a high power RF electrode
in a gas field and the 2nd is by thermionic excititation
with a filament source in a low pressure gas field.

In the case of the latter, the filament heats the low pressure
Nitrogen gas (we also use Argon, Boron, and some other
gases) causing it to break down (or ionize).  A high current (50-100 Amps),
moderate voltage (few hundred) is then discharged in the
gas/ion field generating a plasma.  This plasma is then accelerated
through a high potential DC field (200kV) to generate a stream
of ions (beam) which is steered to a target chamber.

If you schematically represent the ion gun and replace the
conventional elements with those of the TC spark gap you
have this:
In the TC case, your filament source is the thermal energy
generated by the electrodes, your discharge source is the arc
gap itself, and the Nitrogen flow source is the center electrode.

In effect you are actually enhancing the arc by supplying it with
a plasma source gas in turn doing the exact opposite of quencing but
exhaborating the discharge process.

If you would like more information on plasma/ion theory I would
be happy to help.  I am currently working on our homepage and
adding a substantial amount of theory on items that are very closely
similar to TC technologies.  This includes rf theory, pulse modulator
(for our Linac), waveguide theory, plasma, etc.  I will announce the
updates when I have finished (it has been a massive job adding
a few thousand pages to the site).

--Michael
   Senior Researcher
   Chiangmai University