Re: low temp resistance?

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

To bulk up my limited experience in this area, I've
done tons or reading.  It seems to me that many
coilers first try a pure inductive ballast, such as an
arc welder or variac, and then add a small amount of
resistance to cure 50 or 60Hz resonance problems,
surging, kickback, etc.

My suggestion is to try it inductive-only first, and
then add series or parallel resistance if you have
problems.  For my own part, I used a couple of shorted
MOTs to limit my pole transformer mains current to
20A, and I never had any trouble with it.  Later, I
switched over to an AC arc welder, and I haven't had
any trouble with that either.  I'm not using any
resistance, and it works fine.  I say try it without
any resistance first, and then fix as needed.

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg