inverter, aka VFD "3-Phase Posabilitys"

Original poster: "Lynn Massie-Southerland by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <owlster-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Hi to all

In a question-response to "High Power Dimmer, SS Relay, ?inverter?.

Here is some more food for thought using an industrial VFD/inverter a person
would have the ability to produce a clean 0-400Hz 3-Phase signal from a single
phase input. The inverter can be wired to single phase on L1 and L3, not using
L2. The inverter would then produce a three phase signal by chopping a DC sign
wave. One draw back using a 3-Phase inverter on single phase is the inverter
output must be derated by 35%. A big plus to feeding your pole pig with an
inverter excellent overcurrent protection and control of your input frequency.
Another big plus is these things are darn tough with way over sized
transistors, I have seen a 200 HP Toshiba take a direct lightning hit with the
only failure being the primary contactor coil smoked, $50.00 big deal. I will
note here I have experience with ONLY Toshiba inverters, I don't know how
others would hold up.

Neilster

<mailto:owlster-at-att-dot-net>owlster-at-att-dot-net