Dimmer as sync gap motor phase controller - NOT!

Hi All,

I tried to run my sync gap motor (1800RPM 1/4HP) from my dimmer to see if
it would be useful as a phase controller.  With my strobe light I could
easily see the dwell angle on the rotary sync gap.

I could get a "little" adjustment but the motor very easily lost sync with
the AC line.  Not worth a darn...  I could get some control of the motor's
speed but if the speed backed off somewhat, the motor's starter winding
switch kicked in drawing high current.  However, the dimmer seemed not to
mind the motor load at all.

So I don't see any real good use for a dimmer as a control for an induction
motor...  A universal async motor would probably have far better success.

Cheers,

	Terry