Re: "STRANGE" transformers

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

The second one looks similar to one I recently picked
up at a hamfest:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer1.jpg

It had the following marking:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer2.jpg

and probing and testing revealed the following:

http://www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/misc/transformer3.jpg

I recently posted the following on this transformer:

With the capacitors shorted out (the way I got it),
and placing 10 vac across each cap, using various
combinations of taps, I get (assuming the 10 vac is
really 120 vac) 120, 240, 2,160, 2,280, 2,400, 4,320,
4,440, 4,560, 4,680, and 4,800 out. If the "primaries"
can take 240, I get double that. This arrangement also
assumes that all of the windings on the "output" side
of the transformer can take 4,800 vac.

Good luck.
Adam

http://www.fortunecity-dot-com/meltingpot/syria/1210/id26.htm
> they're strange to me because at first i thought
> they were just a
> standard "LARGE" step down transformer, but after i
> got them home i
> found different.
> the large single one is more like a potential
> transformer with some
> really high resistance values on the small taps and
> it has some MASSIVE
> buss taps on the side. it also has the windings
> incased in a plastic
> foam stuff (looks pretty hv to me?) and it has two
> oval cores running
> opossed to each other and measuring 2.5" x 1" each.
> i'll have to current
> limit it to check the output.
> the smaller one has the two individual transformers
> on each side of the
> single oval core but they are conected together at
> each tap the same?
> this core measures 3" x 2".
> these are the strangest transformers i've seen in a
> long time and i hope
> someone can shed some light on what i have here?
> he has about twenty that i could probably get cheap,
> maybe if anything
> the cores might be nice for some current limiting
> inductors?
> thanks in advance to any and all that take a look
> and give sugestions as
> to or what i can do with them.
> marc m.

=====