Re: NST Lifespan

In a message dated 7/9/01 9:11:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "CJ Moore by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <
> wizard1234-at-home-dot-com>
>
>  Is there any general consensus on which brand of NST lasts longer or works
>  better> Is there a a certain type which has been classified as the best to
> use,
>  ie: 15 kv lasts longer or works better in TC operations than 12 kv.
>
>  CJ Moore
>  60871583

CJ,

There's been lot's of accolades for ACTOWN NST's, (if I got the name
right).  I've always used Jeffersons since that's what I happened to
come across.  I have a theory that 12kV, or lower voltage NST's
last longer than 15kV ones, because the lower voltage ones seem
to use the same core size, etc, at least sometimes,  so there may
be more insulation per unit distance in the lower voltage ones.
I happen to like the 12kV ones.  If you use the ACTOWN ones,
they are potted in a resin instead of tar, so even the 15kV ones
will probably be reliable.  Of course I'm not saying that 15kV one
are really that unreliable, and lot's of folks have used them long-term.
Also proper TC design and protection circuits goes a long way to
protect any NST.

John Freau