RE: Secondary Questions

Original poster: "Ted Rosenberg by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Ted.Rosenberg-at-radioshack-dot-com>

Hello Jake:
1.Wire sources vary widely.
Some, on a tight budget, will visit their local motor rewinding shop often
getting sufficient wire for little or no charge. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Others perfer retail or close to retail sources such as McMaster-Carr
<http://www.mcmaster-dot-com>
I bought my last batch of wire from Paramount Wwire in Orange NJ
<http://www.paramount-dot-com>
If you check Paramount, be careful to look only at their magnet wire and not
their craft wire.
I bought mine, #28, with a green insulation for a different look.

2. Go to Bart Anderson's Java Coil Calculator site. His calculator lets you
put in the diameter and length of your planned secondary and the guage of
your wire as well as the insulation thickness. Then it calculates the turns,
the length, the inductance and much, much more. Typically 22, 24, 26 and 28
are popular AWG numbers depending on diameter and other factors. Barts page
let's you easily do "what if" examples. It's almost fun!

http://www.classictesla-dot-com/java/javatc.html

Hop[e this helps and good luck.

Safety First

Ted
==================================
Subject: Secondary Questions

Original poster: "Jake Draper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<cybermecium2-at-home-dot-com>

Hello~
After some thought, and the help of the Tesla List. I have decided to build
bigger Tesla Coil than the one I currently have (1.5"X6") I have decided
that
the best size for my next coil will be 4"X24" because I have some 4" PVC and
it
is the size most people seem to have the best results with. My questions
are:

1) What size of wire should I use?

2) How much wire would I need to wind this secondary from that size of wire?

3) Does anybody know of a good place that sells the wire I would need to
wind
this BESIDES EBAY, and at a reasonable price?

Thank you, Jake D.
    <mailto:CyberMecium2-at-home-dot-com>CyberMecium2-at-home-dot-com
    http://taradev.cjb-dot-net
IncrediMail - Email has finally evolved -
<http://www.incredimail-dot-com/imstampa.html>Click Here