Re: nst shock

Hi Frank,

At 08:17 PM 7/10/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>      Hi terry
>
>                  I once got shocked by 120 when my basment flooded and i
>was vacumming it up with a shop vac and the motor or something failed and it
>electrified the watter and it didn't hurt that much and i was grounded cause
>i had no shoes on and i was standing in the water and still i didnt get
>shocked that bad and it has always puzzled me why i never get shocked that
>bad cause i have been playing with electronics scince i was about ten when
>one of my dads friends who was an electrical engener introduced it to me.

Hard to say there.  Those wet/dray shop vacs play tricks with double
insulation and such to make them extra safe.  So maybe even though
everything was wet, it still stopped the current from being too high.  One
would almost have to have a current meter there to see exactly what the
current was and check all the unknowns.

>And for some reason i just dont seem to get hurt that bad when i get hit with
>electricity my dad is the same way he is able to grab hold of a cars ignition
>coil output with out even flinching and shoot sparks from his fingers to
>other ppl. i mean i am deathly affraid of the output of some of my nst's so i
>am always very carefull around them but i was just wondering why i don't
>really get hurt, could it have to do with the fact that i have a motor
>neuron disfunction in my hands?

Not sure.  Ask a doctor on that one.  I know people that have poor feeling
in there hands can get serious burns since they don't feel it.  Maybe in
your case you can't feel electricity as much as other people.  Of course,
it depends on what your heart and lungs feel...  As far as I know, there is
no safe way to "test" for one's sensitivity to feeling electrical shock.
It would be a real concern if you were to get a dangerous shock but for
some reason you could not sense it and save yourself...  There is a great
variation in how sensitive people are to such things but I don't know of
any real scientific study or hard data to go by.

Cheers,

	Terry