Re: Making a motor sync?

Hi Jake,

        These 1725 RPM ~~1/4 HP motors are perfect for making sync gaps.  The
instructions on how to convert them are at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip

Added comments are at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/sync_motor.txt

For 120BPS operation and 60Hz AC line frequency you want four electrodes.
There is some equation about BPS, poles, frequency...  but everyone just
remembers that they use four electrodes...  3600 RPM motors use two electrodes.

My rotors are 6.25 (9kV NST) and 8 (15kV NST) inches in diameter.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_gap1.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/BigCoil/Rgap.jpg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/MyCoils.htm

You want to be sure to leave enough distance between the electrode metal and
the motor shaft will it will not arc over.

Cheers,

        Terry