Re: Twin coils on ebay

Original poster: "Brent Turner by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bturner-at-apc-dot-net>

Interestingly enough, if the common toaster were a recently developed
product, then it's liability issues would be a nightmare! Think about it
- you have a device which exposes the consumer to 120V AC wall power via
the heater elements. Stick a metal eating utinsil into it to extract
your stuck slice of toast, and zap, bam!

Reason it's still around (and relatively cheap) is that it's considered
a 'common' device, and has been around for a long time.

While Tesla coils are likewise 'old' devices, they aren't 'common', and
can be considered unique. This was an issue I debated when working on my
book. I didn't want to actually present 'plans', but rather explain
existing technology which wasn't unique to me. That way, I can't
effectively be held responsible (there's the key word, BTW) for stuff
that already exists. OK, try and sue good ol' Nicky-boy who invented the
thing.

While I am not a lawyer, (and any comments on this idea are welcome by
those more knowledgeable) it might be better to sell the thing in a
non-functional state. That way, the buyer must make the initiative to
make it actually functional.

Still, it might not be a bad idea to take up a collection or something
and find a sympathetic lawyer who can draft up a 'boilerplate' standard
disclaimer/sales agreement/liability waiver that could go to great
lengths in covering one's hind end.

- brent

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Rick W by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<rickwilliams404-at-earthlink-dot-net>