Re: TC efficiency, was Math help...

In a message dated 7/17/01 10:48:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> John F. -
>
>  With a small coil the input watts would be about 200 watts per foot of
>  spark. A larger coil would require more than 200 watts for the same length
>  of spark. This means the losses are greater and more watts are required for
>  the larger coil. The efficiency is, therefore, less for the larger coil.

John,

Well you're repeating yourself and I am too   :)   But I'll say again....
your comments above do not mean the losses are higher, nor the
efficiency lower.  Maybe you're thinking of the sparks themselves
as losses?!   I do not consider the sparks to be losses.... the sparks
are the output load.

> The
>  greater losses for the larger coil is usually in the spark gap and corona.

Do you have proof or evidence of that?  Is is greater % losses that are
in question, not absolute losses of course.

>  I agree a loose coupling will appear to increase losses but note that there
>  are no equations to relate coupling with efficiency.

Well I'm sure equations could be developed if none already exist.
I find it interesting that you said that a loose coupling will *appear*
to increase losses.  I would say that it *does* indirectly increase
the losses as I explained in a previous posting.  Only in an ideal
(lossless) system would the losses not increase.

John Freau