Increased NST current draw protection?

Original poster: "Rick W by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rickwilliams404-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hey all,

NST bank still under construction. Using Terry's NST protection circuit to the
letter.

Anyway,

Any other way to limit current other than the shunt plates already in the NST?
And is it really necessary.

I've heard that the current draw from an NST is less than it's rated output
once the gas ionizes under normal operation for which they were designed for.
And I've heard that demanding continuous full current draw during tesla
operation can cause failure, in part by carbon tracks forming within the unit.

These will be used to construct a DC supply to power the coil. Built 2 AC coils
a LONG time ago but want to try something different this time around. I have 50
THV512T microwave oven diodes ordered and on the way ( A buck each but minimum
order was $50 ) rated at 12Kv -at- 550 ma each. Will be using them in a full wave
bridge series-parallel configuration to reach a rating of 48Kv -at- 1.1 amps
filtered by 1Mf at 30Kv.

I'd like to protect my investment. Right now I have three Franceformer 15Kv
30ma NSTs (In phase) and am shooting for 150ma so 2 more will need to be added.
Will also be using a PFC cap. Taking a hit on current and having to add extra
NSTs is not an issue for me compared to preserving or extending the life of the
NSTs. Also, depotting and submerging in transformer oil isn't out of the
question either.

Thanks, :)

Rick Williams
Salt Lake City