Re: first coil help

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Ryan,

While making an MMC will be cool, I don't think that the SW caps are your
main problem. I have both SW and some manufactured caps, and only find maybe
15-20% difference between the two. Even if you do achieve breakout with an
MMC, I bet that you have an inherent problem that will keep your output low.

My first suspicion is your spark gap. My smaller coil, powered by a OBIT,
7kv/23ma, breaks out fine, putting out over a foot with SW caps. I found
that my vacuum gap that I use on my bigger coil didn't work worth beans on
the smaller coil. However, a multiple washer gap with only a fan running on
it does well. In recent posts, people commented that more vacuum wasn't
necessarily better, and I found that to be true with my big coil. Reducing
the vacuum motor speed with a variac greatly helped my output. I recall you
have an air blast gap, have you tried using less air pressure? The one RQ
gap I made didn't work very well, I'm sure that's because I did something
wrong, but maybe try and whip up a multiple washer gap. Easy, cheap and fast
to make, and easy to adjust. Try 5-7 washers with .020 or so between them.
Brass washers are best if you can get 'em.

As well, sounds like your topload may be too small. I just made a 9" pie
pan/3" al duct torrid, and was really impressed with how much more output I
get.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jonathan Peakall