Re: salt water capacitors

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Nick,

After a hasty study of your coil specs I think the
problem is your cap. It's too small. 12 beer bottles
is good for about 10nF. To tune with 10nF, you'd need
about 30 turns on your primary. To tune with 12 turns,
you need about 80nF. That's a lot of beer bottles! I
did it though. I used 98 Miller Genuine Draft bottles
to build an 81nF cap for my 5kva pole pig coil. I even
figured out a convenient way to wire all those bottles
in parallel. Have a look at my web site some time to
see the big saltwater cap. Now if 100 lbs of beer
bottles & brine is not your bag, then you should
really investigate the MMC. 80nF at 12kvdc is a snap
using MMC fabrication techniques. In case you're
wondering, the level-shifted twin MOT supply is a
brute, quite capable of fully exploiting an 80nF cap.

Another possibility is to build a two-layer primary in
order to achieve enough inductance to tune with 10nF.
That would require a fairly major rebuild, but of
course, that's your call. I've never built a two-layer
primary, so I'll take a pass on offering any more
advice about it.

Best Regards,

Greg
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/greg