Re: Hood Ornament

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Jake,
See comments interspersed.

In a message dated 7/21/01 12:13:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

At 08:58 PM 7/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>Hello Jake,
>
>Very bad idea.  Someone walks by and just touches or leans against your car
>(not an unusual action nor unexpected), jumps because of the sudden shock,
>and you are liable (morally and probably legally) for any injury sustained.
>Imagine if it is an old woman or man.

There is nothing wrong with a Tesla coil hood ornament per se, but anyone who
would leave any Tesla coil RUNNING UNATTENDED would be asking for trouble.

>How about the slob who smacks the
>side of your car with the door and promptly gets a shock when putting his
>foot on the ground?

Sounds like instant KARMA to me. I believe that there are very few
legitimate reasons for capital punishment. Extreme rudeness and stupidity are
two of them.

>You are liable to find your car smashed up if he can
>figure what zapped him.  I'd be tempted to smash the car myself if I was
>casually zapped (I wouldn't do it, but I would call the police).

For auto security, an interlock that would only activate system if door was
opened while the security system was armed would prevent unintentional Zaps.
For this purpose, IMO, a large capacitor would be more effective than a Tesla
coil.

Matt D.