Re: Caps

Hi Gordon,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gordon Forrest by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gmf-at-gmforrest.free-online.co.uk>

> Dear Tesla fans,
>
>         what value cap is best to use with a 6kV 100mA NST? I worked
> out what the best value should be, getting max current by getting the
> resistances the same. I've been told to use a much lower value from a
> friend.

28nF is about right for full charge. However, 6kV is low. It will probably
be enough to produce sparks, but I
think you would be better off doubling the output voltage. I'd try using
what you have first before getting
another NST.

> Also I've been told NOT to use inductors between the NST and
> the cap to stop kickback. I will be using a 16A line filter.

Yep, inductors aren't the best protection in TC service. Check out Terry's
paper:
 http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/rcfilter/rcfilter.html

> Do I need a cap to correct the power factor and what value should
> it be?

PFC is always a good idea. Approximately 111uF.

Take care,
Bart