RE: Terry's Protection Filter

Original poster: "Richard Wayne Wall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>

Hi Dave,

I too use lightning arrestors on the HV side.  They are simple and handle
anything we can throw at them.  After all they are designed to handle lightning
strikes.  What are the voltage ratings on the ones you use?  I have not run any
tests to see where they really clip.  Have you?

All mine are salvaged and very cheap.  I always have my eye out for them and
grab them when ever possible.  For me they really solve a problem robustly and
easily.  Of course, I have protective filters on the low voltage side.

RWW

> Hello Terry, all,
>
> I was wondering if you ever considered designing a pole
> pig compatable version of your protective filter circuit? I know
> the 1800 volt MOVs won't take the current, but I was just
> wondering if this circuit could be made "piggie friendly"?
> I've found, as others have, that pole pigs are very robust
> beasts that can easily handle the abuse of Tesla circuits,
> but I was thinking in case one wanted to play it safe, it
> would be nice to have a filter circuit suitable for a pole
> pig. I'm using a lightning arrester for the safety gap of my pig
> system, but I still have air-cores inductors for the RF filters
> and I think these may do more harm than good. I suppose
> the sheer toughness of pole pigs has rendered the development
> of a filter circuit for them perceived as unneeded. Just won-
> dering.
>
> Sparkin' in Memphis,
> David Rieben

--- Richard Wayne Wall
--- <mailto:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com