New 10kVA F-cage Pics!!

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi everyone.

Aron and I ran the coil A LOT last night, and got some more faraday cage
pictures. We also set a new sparklength record for us, 11 feet! Most of the
runs were at 10kVA, some up to 18kVA. Our capacitors are failing quickly,
things are inefficient here at the moment.

Mark Stolz came over last night to check out our big coil stuff..........and
of course, he ended up in the cage! See him and Aron in there at:

http://www.angelfire-dot-com/tx4/ionwind/faraday.html

The new stuff is titled "Coil run on 07/22/01", in the middle.

Yes, the cage was thrown together.
Yes, the cage is a ladder covered with chicken wire.
Yes, the ladder is on fire at the top.
Yes, it's pretty small for a person.

YES, believe it or not, IT'S SAFE!! We wouldn't do this if it wasn't, guys.
Please, no handslaps on safety issues. I am not saying we know everything
that's going on, I AM saying that we have successfully built a coil made to
withstand 18kVA, with no HV safety problems whatsoever. I believe to make
something like this, with no injury, shows that we must be doing something
right. Yeah, we do push things sometimes..................but driving on your
typical freeway is much more dangerous.

Unless you have done something of similar scale before, please, no handslaps
on safety. The only injuries we've sustained are small cuts and smashed
fingers from tools used to make this stuff. Not ONE TIME have we ever been
shocked inadvertantly. Not from a pig, mot, nst, ignition coil, tesla coil,
etc. The exception is, that Aron and I take 120VAC shocks a lot, but that is
a different story!!! That stuff hurts, Pig's kill, 120 is different, enough
said.

We *were* pushing 10kVA max, and the power feed to my shop, from my parent's
house, is only 10 gauge....! Aron had an idea that worked really
well.........straighten the big heap of 10 gauge in the backyard out, and
triple the power feed up! This gave us another 15 amps to work with.
(measured with input to coil, before and after tripling up the 10 gauge), and
we're now able to push 75A -at- 240V into the pig - 18kVA.

ARON MADE .AVI's OF THIS COIL RUNNING!!! They're coming soon at
www.hvguy-dot-com. And they're great too. I will post it to the list when they're
up.

Take care everyone, hope you enjoy the pics! They were taken with Aron's
RCA-CDS1000 digital camera, and show exactly what the coil looks like during
operation (except for streamers which it doesn't show at all!)

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Aron and Justin's Online Lab
www.hvguy-dot-com