Re: Fast ground rod

Original poster: "Rick W by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rickwilliams404-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Well hey list,

Rick here. Yes, I have a 12.5 inch secondary, 47" coil length. The project
is still under construction. Projected tank cap is 80nF (might go 100nF) ,
primary about 16 turns of 1/4" tubing spaced 1/4" apart, 29" outside
diameter. (Couple of extra turns for tuning) Resonant freq is just a little
under 50K (1/4 wave). Going for 5 NSTs, 15Kv 30ma each. But I'm going DC
with this project. Shooting for about 100 BPS as an arbitrary starting
point. The filter cap for the supply is 12 times the value of the tank cap.
Also the DC filtered output is 1.414 times the AC input, 15Kv times 1.414 =
21KvDC.

During initial design a limiting resistor was employed to soften the shock
of charging the tank cap through the SPDT RSG. The was calculated to allow
the tank cap to be charged after 5 time constants, about 1 millisec. After
charging there would be very little demand, if any at all, of current from
the filter cap.

So, 100 BPS figures out to 1 pulse per 10 millsecs leaving 9 milliseconds
for the filter cap to recoup the energy expended. There will be a voltage to
which the filter cap will settle out to as per the input current. That
voltage should be well over 15Kv anyway (there will be ripple
*understatement*). Once the tank cap charges the energy stored there is the
energy that's pumped into the system, the supply current is then out of the
picture and can then be used to begin recharging the filter cap. At 80 nF
(maybe 100nF) charged to over 15Kv there should be plenty of energy to power
the coil.

The beauty of DC is I'll be able to vary BPS a lot with no concern about
crossover and sync problems.

But now there may be new light on the DC coil horizon concern how the SPDT
RSG is connected in the circuit. In the meantime I'll continue construction
of the DC supply. Hope to have the supply finished at the end of next week.

Rick Williams
Salt Lake City