Re: Aluminum wire in an NST

Original poster: "sundog by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>

Hi All!

  I depotted a Franceformer 15/30, and nicked the primary with the air
chisel (oopsie).  as I was filing the ends down to re-solder it, i realised
it was aluminum wire.  I had to resort to a mechanical crimp connection
(crapola), but other than that, there's no reason not to use aluminum.  It's
lighter, sure, a bit more resistive than copper, but cheaper, etc.  The
extra heat it makes in a NST must not be that much compared to copper, or
the extra heat is within appectable limits to the manufacturers.

  It's used in pole-pigs (my pig is aluminum foil wound) and I've had no
problems with it.  I have to agree that the losses of using it in the
primary would be negligible compared to the spark gap, and any surface
resistance at the connection won't survive a 20kv 200A+ blast when the tank
cap fires.   A good mechanical connection is obviously present in the pigs
and NST's, as I can't remember hearing of an NST that's died from a bum lead
connection to the primary, and a pig *has* to take chunky current on a 24x7
basis.   It would be interesting to wind an identical set of primarys and
secondarys for a VTTC using copper and aluminum wire to compare the
performance, but it's not on my plate.

 As for aluminum being a crap conductor...I can recall *many* a brush with
the electric fence wire when I was a kid, hurt like the dickens, but a day
later I'd forget and get tangled up in it again.  I figured it.  That wire
was aluminum, I'm not sure what the barb wire the second charger was hooked
up to was. but it seemed to work just fine!

            My 2%

Shad