Re: Freau's efficiency theory=Success!

Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

Hi Jon, all,

Excellent stuff.  That is a great spark length for one NST. Thanks for
making all of the measurements too. I see that you use a large number of
primary,  and secondary turns.  This also seems to help efficiency along
with the sync rotary.

Other than 61" sparks from 1080 watts !!!,  the only thing that stands out
from your spec is the measured VA.  3220 VA sounds very high,  implying
that the power factor is quite poor.

When I tried 100BPS sync here in the UK,  I got poor spark growth for
some reason, but the power factor was very good.  I wonder if there is
another phase setting of the rotary that would give the same real power,
(and spark performance,) with a current draw below 23 Amps ???  John Freau
might be able to comment further here ???

There is nothing really wrong with this setup,  but the NST windings are
seeing more than FOUR times their intended current !   If you added PFC
capacitors you could drop the line current by about 75%,  but it would do
nothing to stop the NST from sweating :-(

Congratulations on your spark length,  and thanks again for posting all
the details.  John's paper is like the standard reference for efficiency
now.
							Cheers,

							-Richie,
On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jon Rosenstiel by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jonr-at-pacbell-dot-net>