Re:Re: Question:

Original poster: "albert hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi all, Terry,Gene.   Well, I have to totally agree with Terrys
explanation about the Allanson trannys.  I have four of them unpotted and
two shunt laminations removed from both + and - sides of the secondaries.
 They are relatively easy to unpot (more or less) from the tar medium,
and seem indestructible once they are unpotted and polyurethaned.  I
would bet that they would be even better immersed in some kind of mineral
oil etc.  I run mine open air with about a zillion coats of poly on them.
 Of the four that I have I was able to salvage three of them.  All were
brand new from 'Just Neon' in New York, and all died bravely in Tesla use
while pushed to the limit.  All of them were gloriously destroyed in
their factory steel case. The one that was not salvageable was burned in
its secondary way down inside, very close to the core and was not
repairable. But a fellow list member has been kind enough to give me his
personal details of rewinding the secondaries to give a small pole pig
upon the existing neon laminations.  I have not done this rewinding.  But
nonetheless the other three neons are more than willing to give their
best to Tesla use as unpotted and shunt removed trannys.  They give out
7,500 volts per side, like Terry said and are quite potent as neons go.
But one thing I did notice when the trannys were new and still encased in
the factory steel and tar shell, is that for a short period of time; Just
before they shorted out in the shell that there was a very dense purple
corona field better than two feet around atop the secondary coil, like a
giant purple ball several feet around with massive arcs emanating from
the sides of the purple plenum. And the giant purple cloud seemed to want
to lift itself away from the top of the secondary.  Could this possibly
have been a Tesla fireball ready and waiting to lift off just before the
trannys shorted out? A feat I cannot duplicate with the unpotted
versions.  Something happened to create this dense purple field atop the
secondary just a few moments before they shorted out.  Like I say, I have
not been able to duplicate that massive purple corona cloud since....Is
it possible that a occurrence like this could be the start of Teslas
fireballs?  So anyway, when factory new, the Allanson neons seem capable
of exemplary corona and spark output when pushed to the limit.  These are
just my observations.    Al

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:24:10 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:

> Hi Gene,
>
> It Allanson is a very popular NST brand.  It is perfect.  Each side
> is 7500
> volts with the center of the secondary winding connected to the
> case
> (ground) which is they way all NSTs like this are.  The two sides
> are 180
> degrees out of phase so there is 15000 volts between them.
> Basically, one
> side is at +7500 volts above ground at the same time the other side
> is
> -7500 volts below ground.
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry
>

> At 09:59 AM 6/6/2001 -0700, you wrote:
> >I am collecting parts for a future Tesla coil project. I bought a
> NST that
> >I've never seen mentioned before, and am wondering what the list
> thinks of
> >it.
> >
> >it is a:
> >
> >Allanson