Re: No responses yet! Fw: Air core toroid...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Bart, All!
        I see nothing in Michael's question that would lead us to assume a
priori that the toroid in question is to be used as a Tesla secondary. I have
not yet done the math or the experiment, but at first flush it seems
counterintuitive that a toroid, where the magnetic flux is completely
contained within the core, would have identical inductance to an open
solenoid, where the flux lines at the ends extend to infinity.
        FWIW a large "paena-toroidal"  or "quasi-toroidal" secondary might
make an interesting bipolar Tesla coil. (reduced EMI?)

Matt D.