Re: General Questions IX

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/9/01 12:24:01 PM Central Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
<<

Hi Wade,

Altho I cannot speak for the hi power, pole pig operators, a 25 Amp variac
should be more than enuff. So far, the most power I play with
is an NST bank of around 3500 Watts.

If it were not for my variac most of my toys would all be toast. It must be
interesting
to apply full power to a TC instead of bringing the heat up slowly. I use a
22 Amp Powerstat , model 136 BU. It runs off of a dedicated 25 Amp line. The
variac is mounted on an aluminum relay rack panel along with a decent AC
voltmeter and ammeter. Also mounted to the panel is a toggle switch,
indicator lamp, and a 4-pole female twistlock.
This is all mounted in a wooden case.

I have several variacs and I always use one when experimenting. It saves many
trips to
the circuit breakers. Another use for the variac is as a speed control on the
coil winder. I think the variac is an indispensable tool for anyone playing
with electrical toys.

Happy day,
Ralph Zekelman

>>>A variac is probably a nice item to have in the TC, yes??? If some of you
 more experienced coilers were going to buy one, and you were running off
 of 120v 60 hertz, would you say that a 25 amp variac would be durable???

 Anyway, Thanks

 Wade<<<<<