Re: Micro coil

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Fucian-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 6/9/01 11:19:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Just assembled a mini really microscopically tiny TC. Here are the specs:
>
> 4kV 9mA bug zapper transformer, repotted in petroleum jelly
> 1 15oz Salt Water capacitor
> 7 turn helical primary, tapped at 4 turns
> .5 inch cardboard form wound with hair-thin wire(not sure of the gauge,
> maybe 36?),
> 4 inches wrapped by hand(really hard) No crossovers in the windings.
> Spark gap is two copper electrodes set at 1/32in
>
> Performance is OK. 1" sparks to my hand. 3/4in streamers. I do not have a
> good RF ground in my room so I attached the bottom of the secondary to a
> heap of Al dryer duct leftover from making toroids. Works fine for right
> now. I will take it out in the garage and hook it up to my RF ground. I'm
> also planning on building an MMC for it with some ceramic caps that I
> ordered. The SW cap isn't anywhere near res.
>
> Does anyone else have a microscopic coil? Questions? comments?
>
> Matt Shayka

I USED to have several.That is back when i got started.Mine was about the
same as yours except a 1in secondary with 30awg wound about maybe 5-6in.The
primary was like 7-10turns of 22awg wound directly on the secondary.I got 1in
sparks as well and would play till my head hurt!So much fun!

Matt