Re: Thoughts on spark length and the "Freau Equation"

In a message dated 6/10/01 10:44:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<A123X-at-aol-dot-com>

>  I was kinda wondering if people running coils in the UK have a bit of an
>  advantage over coilers in the U.S. since each charging cycle is longer and
>  therefore allows for a bigger bang each time. Actually I'm pretty sure now
>  that they do, but how much better is what I'm wondering now.
>
>  Mark

Mark, all,

I don't think a longer charging cycle gives a bigger bang.
There are other issues too.  For instance at 100 bps, it's a little
harder to keep the sparks coalesced, so a little larger toroid may
be needed than at 120 bps.  My guess is that 200 bps is better
than 240 bps, simply because lower breakrates seem more
"efficient".  somehow I doubt there's much overall difference
though.

John Freau