Re: Pole pig control

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Fred Bultman by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <royaloakmin-at-home-dot-com>

> Hi, I have just purchased a 10 kva pig, a GE 3 stack 30 amp variac, and a 100
> amp contactor. I am planning on separating the stack and using two units for
> voltage control, and one as a variable ballast. Would one 30 amp variac give
> adequate control over a range of a range of about 3 to 15kva? The variacs are
> very heavy, so I don't they will have any problems with the current. I am
still
> looking for some HEAVY line filters, big meters, a balancing choke, and a
large
> cabinet if anyone has one. Does anyone have any advice on hooking this up?
> Thanks, Jim Bultman
> P.S. If anyone wants huge variacs cheap contact CTR surplus in Ohio at
> <http://www.ctrsurplus-dot-com/>http://www.ctrsurplus-dot-com/.

Hi Jim....

make sure the variac is rated for 30 amps EACH and not 30 amps for the
total set...
a 10KVA piggie will pull about 42 amps at rated load, 60 Amps for boosted (
280V into the piggie)...
best bet is to use the variacs in parallel setup to handle the voltage
controlling and go with a
ballast of some other design ( EI core and windings) to control the current
for an upper end limiter,
you can vary the voltage and current inbetween the hi end output.

see my web page for more info

HTTP://members.telocity-dot-com/~bigfoo39/

Scot D