Re: MOT Ideas...

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Alex

Removing turns of the primary or runnig it at more than it'sd rated voltage
is a recipie for saturation and lots of I/P mains current .

A good way of geeting mote from MOT's is to run several secondaries in
series.

You can run a centre grounded system with secondaries in anti phase to get
more voltage.

I run a total of 6 MOTS's for 13kV rms.

The MOT's with their secondaries running at an elevated otential live in 6"
PVC plumbing filled with xfrmr oil.

I chose the secondaries carefully for best insulation to the cores. No
failures with this yet but limited run time.

Ballasting is essential and PFC is very desirable. Ballasting with just a
single MOT maybe a little light, I suggest using a combination of two in
parallel then the same in series again. This is to avoid saturation in the
ballast. I use large smoothing inductors form 50v/20A rectifier sets used by
Telcos. These rectifier sets have become redundant with the advent of better
switching supplies and might be availble on the surplus market as a result.
My inductors at 11mH with two in series BTW. Watch winding to core breakdown
in these if u use them

Ballasts from old large xfrmrs / or welders seems to work well too.

Good luck
Ted L in NZ