From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Monday, June 18, 2001 8:43 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Brass/heat/?

Original poster: "Ed by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<edtrind-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Another round of related questions:
I have some 1-1/2 inch brass spheres that I got from Grand Brass Lamp
(mentioned on the list a while back as a source).  I haven't used them yet,
but
recall someone mentioning that they pitted and eroded really fast when used
in
a main gap (multi-segment even if I recall right).
My question is, ..if the brass doesn't get too warm, will this effect be
reduced to reasonable levels?  (I'm considering using a through hole with a
vacuum or blower type gap) (the arc will still be concentrated in a
relatively
small area).

My other electrode option is the OFHC copper mentioned in my other post, and
these are in the form of optical flats (diamond machined) that are 2 inches
in
diameter X 1/4 inch thick (and flat to within 2 micro-inches, but that
flatness
will change within the first few seconds!).

Thanks again,
Ed T.