Re: Pole transformer ballast

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Steve White by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<slwhite-at-zeus.ia-dot-net>

> Can anyone tell me how many square inches of iron (stell laminations) is
needed
> for the center section of a ballast. The ballast is to be used for a 5
KVA pole
> transformer. I want to limit the current at 20 to 25 amps at a working
voltage
> of 240 volts.

hi Steve...

an EI type of core with about 16" sqr center leg wrapped with about 200
turns of solid copper #10
THHN style insulation should do the trick for ya. keep the run times (
continious ) down to about 2
minutes max or else the inner windings will get too warm and insulation
failure will occur.

Scot D