Re: More newbie questions

Original poster: "jpeakall by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>

Michael,

I'm a beginner too, but this is my understanding. I'm sure someone will
chime in if I'm wrong...;-)

Even with HV wire, one should have things arranged so there is zero
possibility of human contact to the tank circuit (or any part of the system,
for that matter). This being assumed, many people, myself included have and
do run tank circuits using regular (600v) wire. Some use bare copper tubing
for heavy current applications. I wouldn't handle a live tank circuit wire
regardless of what the rating of the wire is. That said, I am using all HV
wire in my upcoming 6.5" coil, simply for a greater safety factor inside the
PSU cabinet in terms of arc overs, as well as shielding critical areas with
Plexiglas.

How long one can operate the coil is not so much concerned with the voltage
rating of the wire, but the gauge.

Jonathan Peakall