Re: Summing up of Async Vs. Sync

In a message dated 6/22/01 9:49:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> <garry-at-ndfc-dot-com>
>
>  Hmm, does this mean that the flat's aren't that critical, that I could use
>  hand grinder to make flats as long as I don't take off so little that it
>  doesn't grip, or take off too much so that the motor can't rotate the disk
>  without losing sync?

Garry,

Absolutely not critical.  I've made flats with hand grinders and with
hand files.  however they should be the same depth and equally
spaced so the motor stays in balance.  The balance issue becomes
more critical at 3600 rpm than at 1800 rpm.

>  I never even considered a Sync gap because I figured it would take a
machine
>  shop to do it right and right now, the car is eating hundreds of dollars
out
>  of my bank, but I can afford to get an ole $20 used motor and grind it
>  myself with a dremel.

Nah, a machine shop is not needed at all.  just a little care.  if motor
vibrates too much, go back and improve the spacing and depth issues
to correct it.  usually a little vibration doesn't really matter.

John