Ballast damping resistor

Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

Hello Coilers,

While experimenting with my copper sulphate bucket cap I made an
interesting observation that I like to hear comments on.

The setup consists of my ballasted "mini pig" radar transformer,
feeding thru a "Terry" protective filter to a TC primary only,
no secondary at all.  The gap is a single static arranged like
a horn gap or small jacobs ladder.

When I put a 5000 ohm, 10 watt, damping resistor across the ballast
choke, my spark intensity increased dramatically.  Could it be that
the resistor is snubbing the inductive kick as the field collapses
in the ballast, whereas before the energy was going elsewhere, to
the detriment of the spark?  The resistor is just slightly warm
after a several minute run.

I'd be interested in any and all comments.

73, Weazle, VE3EAR/VE3WZL

Listening: 147.030+ and 442.075+
E-mail:    weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca
           or ve3ear-at-rac.ca