Re: pig lightning strike - a Positive Lightning Bolt?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Justin and all,

Chances are, the poor pig got a direct hit by a giant high current bolt of
POSITIVE lightning, which first took out the arrestor, then the pig! Unlike
more common bolts of negative Cloud to Ground (CG) lightning from the base
of a thunderstorm, a positive giant bolt comes from much higher, in the
updraft region of the cloud - a region of strong positive charge. These
bolts are really nasty, since they not only pack much greater current (up
to several hundred kiloamperes), but the decaying "tail" of the current
also flows for a much longer time, making it much "hotter". Positive
lightning currents have been known to persist for as long as 100
milliseconds! And, one of these can easily hit well over 10 miles away from
the base of the storm!

It's also positive lighting that starts many wildfires, and if it hits YOU,
it usually kills you. Period. This form of lightning often hits well
outside of the region getting rained upon, and may sometimes hit where
there's not even any sound of thunder from the main storm! Sometimes
called a "bolt from the blue", it can travel outward from the cloud top,
traveling horizontally, then diagonally downward, striking objects that
are under blue sky! It's exceptionally dangerous in mountainous regions,
since a storm can be on the other side of a mountain and not observable
until lighting strikes on the sunny side - seemingly coming out of the
blue!

For one of the most awesome "bolt from the blue" picture ever taken, check
out the following image. In
this shot, the lightning originated near the anvil top of the thunderstorm
and propagated downwards to the ground. Check it out at:
http://www.aquila-dot-net/bert.hickman/photos/posflasha.jpg

The positive bolt pictured hit at least 5 or more miles away from the base
of the storm. Looking at this, it's obvious that this is no ordinary
lightning
bolt!

Justin, feel fortunate to have seen one of these brutes up close - but just
not
too closely... :^)

-- Bert --
--