Re: SRSG Construction

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

Hi Rodney

> What is a good measurement technique to determine whether a motor is
> salient pole after milling the flats on the armature?
Well, it cant not work! If you really want to check maplins sell a really
vheap strobe set for 14 quid. replace the strobe tube (£1.60) and replace
the resistor/capacitor trigger with a zero crossing chip... if the disc
appears still when illuminated, you have it!

> Also, does anyone on
> the list know the breakrate formula for 60hz?
It really depends on the power supply. For a small supply like an NST, i'd
use 120BPS. This means that every peak (positive and negative) you have a
bang, which maximises the power to your primary coil. If you have a larger
power supply try 240 or even 480BPS - this keeps the SG wear very low, and
will possibly give you better results (but only with a pig or MOT supply)

> We are in the process of
> updating our coil during the rainy season here in Florida and are trying a
> few new things :).

Well good luck!
Jason