Re: caps and JL

Original poster: "Shaun Epp by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <scepp-at-mts-dot-net>

Yup, me too, I've tried coat hangers and didn't clean off all the varnish
(or whatever that stuff is).  I've tried 1/4 " copper tubing, but at low
power the rods  need to be closer together ... or use a thin piano wire as
an ignitor between the base of the rods.   High frequency (20 Khz) works
need....   I've overpowered a transistorized flyback cct that make a good
jacobs ladder, ion motor, plasma etcher.....    apparently if its run inside
a clear tube and nitrogen is slowly wafted up, it changes the colour more
blue and the arc travel up further.   I used a OBIT and a flyback too.  I
seen from one mfg that using metal straps   ~~3/8 " wide and angling the
elements at their edges works well for lower power units  and putting DRY
paper between the rods while running shoots holes into them.

JL's are so cool !   \         /
                                  \  ^  /

I've also tried puting a capacitor across the HV source........ doesn't make
climing arcs..... just bright flashes and bangs!!!!   sounded like the spark
gap of my small TC.