More re: Fanciful spark-augmenter

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

As to my prior posting of today...

I tweaked the coil so that it had 17T tapped at 5T and changed to .03 and
.0022 uF capacitors.  "Gap" open yields 166 KHz & closed yields 142 KHz.

But my main point here is to note that the gap current--and the
5-to-17-turn coil current--should be only 1/5 that in a conventional
system.  I measured the voltage across the .0022 uF capacitor as 2.6x
that across the .03 uF one at resonance.  But the capacitance ratio, and
hence 1/(the reactance ratio), is .0022/.03 or .073.  That ratio x 2.6
gives the 1/5.  So...5x the gap life?

This fanciful notion reminds me of the way piloted hydraulic valves work:
 A little valve does a little work so as to effect the switching of a big
valve.

Maybe not so fanciful?

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!