Re: MMC Caps (Revised)

Hi Matt,

I just found you post here on my desk so I am a little late :-))

You have to consider voltage, current, and the value.  For a single 15/30 NST
the choices are:

Resonant 5.3nF  3.2 amps
LTR (static) 7nF  3.41 amps
LTR (sync rotary) 15.5nF  6.57 amps

Your 12nF is too large for a static gap :-(  If you have a sync rotary it may
be too small.  However, maybe it would work with a little reduced input
voltage.  The safety gaps will fire if you give it too much.  You could hook it
up in the static gap case and just have a reduced firing voltage too.  It would
not be the "best" but it would probably work fairly "OK".

At 15kV RMS transformer will develope about 21000 volts maximum so your caps
string would be fine.

I trust the caps are high current "polypropylene".  Any other than these "best
of breed" caps will probably burn up in a Tesla coil use.

I hope all this is good news...

You can string together 11 of my 0.056 caps for a 15/30.  So far that has been
working well for people even though it is pusing things a bit.  that gives 5nF
at enough voltage and current for a static gap system in the resonant mode at
200BPS (barely, but the cap's current rating is "padded" a bit :-)).

Cheers,

        Terry