Re: "best" former material?

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Ray, All!

>At one time, and maybe it is still available, you could
>buy coil stock for building Ham transmitters.  These
>were windings of bare, silver plated, or enameled wire,
>space wound, and held in position by 3 or 4 bars of what I
>took to be polystyrene running down the length of the
>winding.  They were not suitable for Tesla coils because of
>the low inductance.

Barker & Williamson "miniductor" - try

http://www.bwantennas-dot-com/coilcat.htm

and their "airdux" range is what you want, some (>700 turns) suitable
for small TCs but at a price!!  Should be very high Q and just the job
for CW, expensive though.  I can see problems if the thing gets hot
and the bars start softening, but it will take a lot of power to do
that.

Dunckx