RE: Space winding question

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

Malcolm -

You are talking about a different problem. The wire gauge has nothing to do
with the the spacewound 16.7 TPI as long as the wire gauge is not to big. If
it is too big the JHCTES Ver 2.3 shows a
group of stars to indicate to the designer that he has made a mistake in
logic (the program maker must think of everything)!   The TPI must be
coordinated with the gauge and the insulation thickness to give an overall
thickness of

      TPI = Turns / Overall thickness

I believe that this is a problem with Bart's great program as I mentioned in
another post. I haven't checked this out completely but was waiting for
Bart's comments. The rest of his program gives the same answers as mine but
Bart's has more information.

The coil length is always equal to the TPI times the number of turns. This
is what makes the special type of problem I mentioned difficult for experts
using manual calcs (many variables changing at the same time). This problem
requires many repeat calcs of the type Terry showed. For example "With 10
TPI how many spacewound turns of any size AWG wire that is not too large
will have the resonant frequency of 138.67 Khz (same as closewound)? The
answer is 1075 turns and the coil length is 107.5 inches equals 1075
turns/10 TPI. This is an iterative type problem. Can you think of the other
iterative type problems that the JHCTES can solve easily?

John Couture