Re: Ganging 1256D's -- T5587 Choke

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Chuck and All,

The balancing transformers are nice when more than two variacs are going to
be connected in parallel. However, if you only need to tie two variacs
together, an even easier way is to make a home-brew center-tapped high
current choke. Because the worst-case voltage difference between identical
variacs should be only a few volts or so, it shouldn't take very many turns
of heavy gauge wire wound on an iron or ferrite core to do the trick - say
20 total turns of #4 or $6 AWG, tapped half way through. Most of the flux
in the core ends up being canceled as current is pulled through the center
tap of the choke. The configuration is as follows:

            _____________
 Wiper #1   =============    Wiper #2
      <-----OOOOOOoOOOOOO-------->

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chuck Curran by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>