Re: good MMC? (different than first)

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

> > The "mF" confusion is probably generated by formatting in
> > different font, relative to the original text: if the letter "m"
> > is formatted into the equivalent greek letter (i.e. in the
> > "symbol" font), it will show as the greek "mu", which would be
> > correct for "micro"(-farad, or anything else). - Me too have been
> > wondering many times about the millifarad confusion, before
> > noticing this.
> >
> > Kurt Schraner
>
> Anyone dumb enough to be confused is dumb
> enough not to be able to cope with numbers expressed in any system.

To clarify, the confusion is over the fact that in ascii text, mF is
used to denote both millifarad and microfarad.  Yes, there's usually
enough context to determine which was intended (millifarad is rarely
intended), but the whole point of specifying units is not to require the
reader to deduce them.  And, BTW, I'd venture that I've coped quite well
with numbers expressed in more systems than you could imagine.

	-  Bill