Re: NEC and Tesla Coils

Hi,

Jim's comments pretty much mirror my own.  We "one in a million" Tesla coil
hobbyists fall bellow the "radar" for most legal standards.  Unless you are
going to sell them or do some other really public thing that may place the
"unqualified" near them, they pretty much don't care and the standards
don't apply.  I have looked into some of the VDE and TUV regulations and
you probably could get even those ratings with a little work and a lot
money.  Even a "diabolical" thing like a Tesla coil is acceptable as long
as it is no more dangerous than it is "supposed" to be ;-))

There are a few things to watch out for:

The FCC.  If your coil sends out enough electrical noise to make someone
mad, the FCC will be on top of you pretty quick.  Since coils run only for
tiny odd times during the month, you will probably be too hard to find in
any case (but modern technology is getting pretty good at finding them).
Of course, proper grounding and a little sense will remove this problem
anyway.  Putting a CW coil "on the air" with a big short wave antenna will
get you into hot water FAST!

Police and neighbors may think your a public nuisance if you like to run
you big 30kW coil in your front yard at 3:00am in the middle of the city...
 Everyplace has a variety of odd laws to handle such "pests".

There are a few "diabolical device" laws to handle those folks who like to
make CO2 rockets, explosives, 50 megawatt lasers and other "unneighborly"
things.  However, those things will only apply after you have really
screwed up and they are looking for a reason to take your stuff away from
you to save the town from further damage...

If you need high power electrical brought in, that will have to be to code.
 What you hook to it after that is pretty much up to you.  The reason you
need all the code stuff is so "they" don't have to care what "you" do next...

If you hurt someone or burn your house down, you may have a hard time
explaining the 250kV arcs to the ceiling and such to the lawyers and
insurance people...

When one looks at the known deaths from our hobby:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/Deaths.txt

There is not much to go on.  Transtrom was killed in a stage act back when
a lot of people were getting killed in stage acts.  The recent child's
death was an obvious "mistake".  However, the McDonnell Douglas death would
definitely raise a lot of eyebrows of OSHA and others but it was classified
as a freak accident since they didn't have any previous records...

I think to make a long story short.  Unless we start getting killed right
and left or causing big troubles for others, there is no reason to worry
with legalities.  In a way, we are lucky that this is such a dangerous
hobby.  We know all too well what we are dealing with and we protect
"ourselves"...

I think Richard Petty (NASCAR race driver) said it best...  "When we screw
up, we don't have to worry about getting a traffic ticket or going to the
penalty box.  They just take a wrecker and an ambulance, and come a getch
ya..."

Cheers,

	Terry