SV: Triggered spark gaps for coils

Original poster: "Jan Ohlsson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jan.ohlsson-at-mbox319.swipnet.se>

If I remember correctly there are no chokes to ballast the current to the
xenon tubes in photographic flash equipment. The resistance of the
conducting gas in the flash tube does all the limiting of the current, if I
have understood the circuits correctly. That would make them unsuitable for
a tesla gap, where you want the lowest resistance possible while the gap is
conducting.

The bigger xenon tubes for photographic studio work use about 1-4
kilojoules at the most. The tubes are quite expensive in the bigger sizes,
several hundred dollars is not an uncommon prize for a replacement tube for
a large studio unit.  The voltage is around 400-500 volts and the flash
duration is about 1-4 ms. The flash repetition rate is at the most 0.5 - 2
Hz. For high flash energy and high repetition rates the tubes are fan
cooled. The trigger electrode is often external in the form of a thin wire
on the outside of the quartz glass. The trigger pulse is from a small pulse
transformer that is fed from a capacitor.

Small tubes for hand held battery operated units use no more than a few
tens of joules.

Jan